This week… I’m going to Costco to get a three year’s supply of paper towels, and, um, a $2.3 million diamond.… We debate whether social media is a waste of time or business necessity. I say: both.… And at least one industry member has an excuse for acting like a 12-year-old…. All below…
Signet has “outstanding year.”
– Earning call transcript.
– Lackluster forecast?
Tiffany sales, profits rose in 2011.
– Earning call transcript.
Bidz filing talks of “serious doubts.”
Blue Nile gets new CEO.
HRD graders leave jobs, investigation begins.
– Rumor patrol: Five companies involved.
Two suspected jewelry theft gangs arrested.
Costco now selling $2.3 million diamond.
Turn and Face the Strange
– Still not sure about social media? You’re not alone.
– Edahn Golan: Diamond funds “may not be so bad.”
– Silver now accounts for nearly 40% of jewelers’ sales.
Engagement ring spending falls.
EU renews sanctions against Marange diamonds.
– Miners blasts U.S. sanctions.
– Israel pilot tries to smuggle diamonds out of Zimbabwe.
– Villagers complain of water pollution.
Did Kimberley Process chair warn India against Zimbabwe rough?
– Milovanovic to host webcast.
– KP reports due.
Rio Tinto plans second Indian mine.
Avi Krawitz: Prospects for South African industry are “bleak.”
Hearts On Fire gets new trademarks.
Fabergé to sell online.
The Wall Street Journal interviews Cartier head.
– New York Times readers have different responses to Cartier commercial.
Seeking Alpha: Harry Winston “uniquely positioned.”
Gitanjali, LVMH revive investment talk.
Russian diamond production up.
JA ties Burma ruby ban lifting to further reforms.
GIA appoints new PR director.
De Beers chairman receives lifetime achievement award.
Galaxy resembles emerald-cut diamond.
The $11 million laptop sleeve.
Jewelry made from John Lennon’s tooth.
Ohio jeweler designs Hunger Games pin.
Vintage jewelry jokes. Today you might be able to still tell the third one.
A lot of people were inspired by our story about a 12-year-old jewelry designer.
– The Wall Street Journal on Swiss watchmakers.
– Site asks: Should Christians boycott diamond rings?
– Huffington Post on jewelry and divorce.
– The BBC interviews Clifford Elphick. (Audio)
– Miss Manners weighs in on “grandma’s diamonds.”
– Transcript of CNN interview with head of Marange mine. (From official Zimbabwe govt. newspaper)
– Hawaii Five-O plot features blood diamonds.
– PR Newser on lab-created diamonds.
From the Blog:
– Get blogs and news every day in JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– skype: rob.bates3