In the news … A proposed change in the definition of “conflict diamonds” raises more conflict … J.C. Penney is not America’s Favorite Store just yet… And another example of why swallowing diamonds is not a good idea… All below …
Jewelers score a solid Mother’s Day.
J.C. Penney has tough first quarter.
– Stock has worst fall in 15 years.
– Turnaround “tougher than anticipated.”
Bidz receives buyout offer, to go private.
– Revenue falls.
Richemont bidding for Avon?
– Results beat forecast.
Tiffany, Damas call agreement off.
– Tiffany increases quarterly dividend.
World Diamond Council endorses change in conflict diamond definition.
– Indian newspaper: Change “faces resistance.”
– WDC statement.
– Nicky Oppenheimer says goodbye—and other thoughts from Italy.
Diamond prices predicted to rise this year.
Weak rupee will increase price of polished.
– Avi Krawitz: Rupee decision will “challenge” trade.
Graff aims for $1 billion IPO.
– Analysts: “A bit expensive.”
– The Wall Street Journal assesses the IPO.
Diamond Circle Capital rejects buyout offer.
Famed Beau Sancy takes in double its estimate.
“Case study” of Helzberg ad campaign.
Wall Street Journal profiles new Hearts On Fire stores.
– Wants 75 leases!
Israeli committee reviewing diamond industry.
Alrosa’s earnings double.
– Russian government urged to sell Alrosa.
– Company gets loan.
Indian company gets fined by Customs.
Rio Tinto appoints new head of its Indian project.
Zimbabwe mining firm accused of not paying.
– Four diamond traders arrested in Zimbabwe.
Blue Nile senior VP retires.
Former De Beers exec Menell becomes Shore Gold chairman.
Spike TV’s “Diamond Divers” premiering in June.
– Travel Channel presents “Gem Hunt” special.
The Giants’ Superbowl ring.
Daily Caller tries to tie alleged blood diamond financer to Obama fundraiser.
Stories about diamond-swallowing thieves are always amusing because of what it takes to get the stone out.
– The New York Times (and JCK’s editor-in-chief) on jewelers and celebrities.
– Dubai newspaper on De Beers’ relocation to Botswana.
– The Simpsons has Lady Gaga crying diamonds.
– CNBC: Rich investing in diamonds.
From the Blog:
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.