First, a self-promotional note: We are on the verge of Vegas, and I have a number of speaking engagements at the show. On Friday, June 1, I will be moderating panels on “HPHT Diamonds: What You Need to Know and Why” (10 a.m.) and “New Technology for the Jewelry Industry” (11:30 a.m.)
On Saturday, June 2, I will be giving my presentation on the “Top Ten Hot Topics on Diamonds” (10 a.m.)—only it will be on more than just diamonds, and I probably won’t reach ten. But it should be a lot of fun, and hopefully informative.
Also June 2, I’m moderating panels on “Empowering and Igniting Your Staff” (2:30 p.m.) and “Diamonds for Good” (4 p.m.) The details on all the panels are here. And of course, I will be attending the JCK Tweet-Up.
Safe travels, everyone, and I hope to see some of you at the show …
Headlines … Opposite world: Zale impresses Wall Street, Tiffany, Signet don’t … The De Beers class action may be final, finally … Some man-made gems make a big mess … All below …
Undisclosed synthetic diamonds appearing on market.
– Rapaport: Write “natural untreated diamond” on all invoices.
– JCK article on “identifying CVD synthetic diamond.”
– My thoughts: Will it cause a crisis of confidence?
It’s over! De Beers class action now final.
– De Beers tries to stamp out W.B. David appeal.
Tiffany may lose Elsa Peretti license, has mixed quarter.
– Shares plunge.
– The Street: Results were “terrible.”
– Outlook too optimistic?
– Peretti departure would be “blow to Bat Mitzvah girls.”
Signet sales up 1.2%.
– Stock among biggest decliners.
Zale sales up for third quarter, Mother’s Day.
– Earning call transcript.
– Breeden: Breaking up Zale “could double or triple value.”
– Contradicts himself on stock sale. (Second item)
Hearts On Fire CEO: Don’t fear us going retail.
Bidz acquisition attracts law firms.
– Merger boosts stock value.
– Shares face delisting.
Graff IPO “doesn’t dazzle.”
– Model called “risky.”
– Reliant on 20 millionaires?
– Does it simply benefit the owner?
Graff Diamonds rated highest among (very) wealthy customers.
Barrons: Harry Winston shares may rise.
Ollie Keene joins Brodkey’s as CEO.
Russian tycoon sues Leviev in diamond case.
Diamond Circle Capital rejects takeover offer.
RioZim sets sites on Murowa.
Do Marange mines cause pollution?
Illegal diggers trapped in diamond mine.
– Second deceased miner removed.
Anglo/De Beers takeover approved.
– Nicky Oppenheimer’s speech to World Diamond Council.
Indians sell diamonds in Pakistan.
– Indian diamond industry reopens after vacation.
Three large diamonds found in Lesotho.
Former NYJSA president Al Mintz dies.
Marc Zuckerberg gets married with ruby ring.
More on the age-old ashes-to-diamonds story.
Diamond switcher finally, um, produces gem.
BBC on diamond mining in Sierra Leone.
From the Blog:
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.