In the news … The industry keeps the Antwerp police busy … J.C. Penney still working on that “America’s Favorite Store” thing … And a woman gets the best pair of used jeans ever (and really, how often you can say that) … All below …
J.C. Penney president resigns after eight months.
– Management not changing strategy.
– Shares drop to 21-month low.
– Analyst: “Catastrophic blow.”
– Company employees speak out about changes.
– New leadership “has until August.”
Four people arrested in Antwerp lab bribery case.
Complaint about synthetic non-disclosure filed with Antwerp police.
– New York industry to meet with law enforcement on issue.
– No easy detection method for synthetic diamonds, GIA says.
Big Indian diamond dealer defaults on payment.
Indian diamond exports fall 50 percent.
Indian dealers predict diamond price increase.
– Alrosa prices up 5 percent in first quarter.
– Rough market “in a rut.”
– Gem Diamonds CEO: Prices will stabilize.
Harry Winston interested in acquiring new mines.
– … And De Beers is not.
Is the industry still united on conflict diamonds?
– Rapaport announces campaign for ethical jewelry.
More violence in Marange diamond fields?
– Diplomats to tour the area.
– Zimbabwe adopts new diamond policy.
– Diamond revenue “disappointing.”
– Zimbabwe Cabinet wants to probe money trail.
– Fingers point at Anjin.
Leviev battle over Angolan diamonds heads to court.
Court rules De Beers Canadian price fixing suit has proper jurisdiction.
Two die in mining accident in Botswana.
Drug lords get into gold mining.
More than half world’s malls being built in China.
– In the U.S., many malls will fail.
Tiffany stock hits 52-week low.
– Shares are a “bargain.”
Signet Jewelers gets mixed review as far as cash conversion.
Do you trust the earnings at Blue Nile?
Swiss watch exports see huge increase.
– Hublot chairman sees more U.S. stores.
Richemont CEO takes pay cut.
Swatch (brand) president steps down.
Antwerp dealer Ignatz Kaszirer dies.
Former diamond merchant sentenced for pot dealing.
Indian agreement with Pakistan offers “glimmer of hope.”
Jeweler uses Twitter to pester football player about debt.
Deutsche Bank backing 47th Street Gem Tower.
Woman finds $6,000 diamond ring in pair of used pants.
The New York Daily News on celebrity engagement rings. Includes quote from JCK editor-in-chief.
The Telegraph on falling diamond prices.
From the Blog:
– Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK’s daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter feed: robbatesjck
– Cutting Remarks RSS feed.