This week in Diamond Shavings: Another building sold in the Diamond District. Washington Post writers speak out on Amazon. And a diamond-encrusted plane goes viral. All below.
Pantone’s 2019 Color of the Year: Living Coral.
Signet comps rise, but still posts loss.
– Bloomberg Opinion: Signet still has challenges.
– Signet fixes possible security issue on Kay, Jared sites.
Diamonds and watches look strong this holiday.
– Bain: Diamond industry proves “resilient.”
– Diamond price declines are “a worrying trend.”
Avi Krawitz takes issue with recent lab-grown diamond articles.
– Jeweller magazine has a lot of articles on lab-growns.
Choosing a lab-grown diamond detector.
Apple exec’s lab-grown ring sells at Sotheby’s.
Big blue diamond doesn’t sell at Sotheby’s.
– Bulgari blue diamond does sell for $18 million at Christie’s.
– 24 ct. diamond beats estimate at Bonham’s.
Those warranties on diamond invoices are changing.
EBay to authenticate jewelry listings.
Tiffany CEO seeks an end to “old luxury” (subscription required).
Boucheron CEO targets China, female self-purchasers.
Study reveals millennials’ apparel, accessory brand preferences.
Pam Danziger in Forbes is high on pearls.
– Vox is really into morganite.
– InStyle likes opal engagement rings.
AP has good summary of Lev Leviev affair.
Nirav Modi warning signs were there.
– Modi profile in The Telegraph.
Examiner issuing subpoenas in Samuels Jewelers bankruptcy.
Sears chairman Eddie Lampert makes $4 billion bid for retailer.
– A pointless exercise?
– Workers want bankruptcy assurances.
Shopko closing 39 stores.
Thanksgiving weekend sales strong, but not as strong as 2017.
Mall owners know they’re too reliant on dying department stores.
Extell Development buys another building in the Diamond District.
Jewelers Row in Chicago perseveres.
The “Jewish history of Hatton Garden.”
Northwest Territories hopes to lure diamond manufacturers.
Stuller’s request for tax exemption causes controversy.
– Tax waiver denied.
Sierra Leone yet to see benefit from Peace Diamond.
Responsible Jewelry Conference’s insights into artisanal/small-scale mining.
Diamond worker unrest in India.
Sotheby’s chief operating officer Adam Chinn steps down.
Blue Nile names new chief marketing officer.
National Jeweler editor mystery-shops jewelry sites.
Amazon’s new seller system may increase its control.
– Is Amazon vendor revolt brewing?
– Amazon ads increasingly driving purchases.
– What Washington Post employees really think of Amazon.
Retail group happy about pause in Trump trade war.
– Robin Report: Will retailers take a hit?
Five lawsuits that could change the fashion industry.
Drew Brees’ lawsuit against San Diego jeweler turns to Austin.
Tennessee lawyer Brian Manookian loses bid to reinstate license.
Century-old tiara stolen from U.K. gallery.
– Thieves used specialist diamond tools.
NYPD finds engagement ring lost in sewer.
– Someone left their ring on the Staten Island Ferry.
Woman tells BBC that engagement rings are “damaging to women.”
– Good Morning Britain disagrees.
Victoria’s Secret’s “mean-girl problem.”
Priyanka Chopra’s wedding jewelry was spectacularly over the top.
Hailey Baldwin rocks diamond-encrusted “Bieber” chain.
Nicole Kidman was “dripping in diamonds.”
Aaron Donald purchased $250,000 diamond chain after signing massive contract.
The story behind the United Arab Emirates’ diamond-studded plane.
– Ring Concierge has diamond-buying advice.
– So does Town & Country.
– The Federalist has advice on rings.
– Bespoke jeweler advises against white gold engagement ring.
– Business Insider: How engagement rings have changed over 100 years.
From the Blog
Have a great weekend!
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Image: Getty Images)