Traffic on CyberMonday.com, a one-stop shop for consumers looking for Cyber Monday deals, is tracking three times higher than last year, according to Mall Networks, which powers the site. By 1:00 p.m. Monday, the site had more than one million visitors. The site offers promotions and special deals from more than 550 online retailers.
“Online retailers stepped up their promotions on Cyber Monday this year, and millions of consumers responded,” said Scott Silverman, executive director of Shop.org. “If there was any doubt before, this year it is certain: Cyber Monday is a permanent fixture on the retail calendar.”
Cyber Monday, a term coined by Shop.org in 2005, began after online retailers noticed a trend of people shopping online on the Monday after Thanksgiving.
In addition to providing consumers with special savings and discounts, CyberMonday.com has a charitable purpose. When shoppers make a purchase through the Web site, retailers provide a percentage of that sale to Shop.org, which are used for its Ray M. Greenly Scholarship Fund, which helps students pursuing careers in eCommerce. Ray Greenly was a vice president at Shop.org before passing away from cancer in 2005.
Cyber Monday statistics
* 72 million consumers will shop online this year on Cyber Monday. Source: BIGresearch for Shop.org
* More than half (54.5%) of office workers with Internet access, or 68.5 million people, will shop for holiday gifts from work this year, up substantially from 50.7 percent in 2006 and 44.7 percent in 2005. Source: BIGresearch for Shop.org
* Men are more likely to shop from work than women (57.3% vs. 51.7%) and young adults 18-24 years old are more likely to shop there than any other age group (72.9%). Source: BIGresearch for Shop.org
* Many retailers offered one-day sales (28.9%) and free shipping on all purchases (24.7%) today. Source: Shop.org/Shopzilla eHoliday study conducted by BizRate.com
* 72.2 percent of online retailers are planning a special promotion for Cyber Monday, up from 42.7 percent just two years ago. Source: Shop.org/Shopzilla eHoliday study conducted by BizRate.com
* More than 550 online retailers post holiday promotions and special savings on cybermonday.com
* Over 200 people attended Shop.org’s Shop@Lunch event today at the ESPN Zone in Washington, DC.