This week …Valentine’s Day and jewelers make beautiful music together … Marange diamonds and the Zimbabwe government create a far-less-lovely sound … And Reuters tries to play matchmaker for Zale and Sterling … All below …
Jewelers term Valentine’s Day decent.
- National Jeweler somewhat more upbeat.
Blue Nile slashes prices as sales, profits fall.
- Is site's market share falling?
- Stock tumbles.
- Analyst raises rating.
- Investor presentation audio. (Interesting, but long.)
- My thoughts: No longer in denial?
Reuters speculates about Zale/Signet merger.
- My thoughts: Still a bad idea.
- Sterling promotes Hrabak. Montalto retires.
Some 17 percent of men would want “man-gagement rings.”
How Target collects shopping information. Interesting.
Retailers shut Facebook stores.
Macy’s hiring 4,000 full-time employees next year.
Sears to lay-off 100 employees.
Indian diamantaires chosen as consul generals.
- Times of India worried about Chinese “threat.”
Graff Diamonds preparing $1 billion Hong Kong IPO.
Diamond thieves arrested in Hong Kong.
Edahn Golan: U.S. diamond figures show money laundering.
Global Witness releases new report linking diamonds to Mugabe.
- Zimbabwe prime minister urges “transparent” trade.
- Avi Krawitz: De Beers “needs to take stand.”
- A response from Diamond Intelligence Briefs. [$$]
Chaim Even-Zohar on the new KP chair.
- CNN interviews Milovanovic.
Sowind Group announces new president.
- PPR revenues rise.
Hearts on Fire announces new design director.
Jewelers of America announces staff changes.
JCK Fund announces grant winners.
Grunwald D Fine Jewelers closes.
Argyle underground mining delayed a year.
De Beers still holds some Botswana government diamonds.
Diamond taxes hurting Namibia?
Dead poodle’s diamond collar stolen in French cemetery.
- Forbes article on selling diamonds includes a quote from yours truly.
- Fashionista on top engagement ring trends.
- Yahoo Financially Fit on buying an engagement ring. (Video)
From the Blog:
Hope all my U.S. readers have a great President's day weekend ...
- Get blogs and news every day in JCK's daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
- Twitter feed, w/blog, news updates: robbatesjck
- Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.