When working with retailers, visual merchandisers and interior designers often use the ancient Chinese art of feng shui. Here are five tips for creating a successful business environment:
1. Add water. Water treatments, such as a fountain or a fish tank, positioned near the entrance or inside the boutique are thought to attract and retain wealth.
2. Incorporate metal. A 20- to 50-pound metal sculpture in the eastern part of the space will repel negative energy.
3. Never block an entrance. Anything that blocks the entrance, such as a column or a tree, can prevent people from wanting to enter the store and, hence, inhibit business.
4. Use natural materials. Even if materials are man-made, natural-looking materials convey a warm and friendly environment.
5. Create feelings of openness. Take out unnecessary walls or columns. Open up your space. Good feng shui is good interior design.
SOURCES: Ruth Mellergaard, Janice Sugita, and Gabrielle Levin