Erin Weinger, style editor of THR.com, suggests ways to use social media to promote your next event.
1. Don’t send a Facebook invite to all your “friends.” Make sure you’re targeting the right fans. And consider buying a few Facebook ads, which can be effective.
2. Come up with a cool promotion that helps you capture emails. Example: Sign up for our email list and be eligible for a gift certificate.
3. Make an image specifically for your event to Facebook’s size specifications. Then you can post it and actually blow it up and “pin” it to the top of your Facebook page—and repurpose it for your email list.
4. Hold a social media contest at the event and promote it beforehand. Think of a cute hashtag that includes your company name and offer a discount to attendees who use it on Twitter and Instagram.
5. Find a great editorial website that speaks to local consumers and collaborate with the editor on a promotion. For example: If you sign up for the site’s email list, you’ll be entered into a drawing for a free jewel.