Industry groups and organizations showed their giving side this summer:
1. The GIA and the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory at the Nelson Mandela Foundation have signed a memo of understanding to provide four elementary schools in South Africa with a Mandela Day Library.
2. Silver e-tailer EvesAddiction.com debuted a biannual $1,000 scholarship open to any high school senior, undergraduate, or graduate student enrolled in fall 2013 or spring 2014 at a U.S. college or university.
3. Adair Jewelers is giving free Montana sapphire pendants to all graduating senior girls in western Montana. At press time, more than 450 grads had visited the Missoula, Mont., store.
4. Lazare Kaplan International will celebrate its 110th anniversary with donations to industry organizations including Jewelers for Children and the Lazare Ongoma Initiative.
5. JewelPop is giving $5 from the sale of each KarmaPop (pictured, right) to Karen Learning and Education Opportunities. KLEO assists young Karen people of Northern Thailand who face economic, social, and language barriers.