Hope everyone is having a good new year … Christmas seemed to have come out “okay.” The low end seemed to do better than the high end, a reverse of the traditional pattern in recessions. And while many jewelers were flat or up, the people who were down were really down, and that could be dragging down the overall numbers.
And now the news:
De Beers sued over Everlon.
Spendingpulse: Jewelry sales up 6.9% in Dec.
– Analysis: “The new normal” for jewelers.
Zale same store sales down 12%.
– Company gets confidential treatment order. (PDF)
Lazare Kaplan: Banks want to terminate agreement. One thing I’m puzzled about: What are these insurance claims for? Even people who I would think would know are mystified. Anyone know?
Lunt Silversmiths goes chapter 11.
Michael Hill sales jump.
Tiffany’s upward momentum “may continue.”
Zimbabwe halts planned diamond auction, done without prescribed Kimberley monitor.
– Global Witness release.
– Problems continue in Zimbabwe fields.
– Mozambique town sees “steady stream” of illegal stones.
– Company accused of “blood diamond” links.
Report: Leviev’s diamond sales generate $3 billion.
– Diamond business his main source of cash.
De Beers subsidiary markets airport body scanners.
Sierra Leone increases diamond tax.
– Country looks for mining investment.
Fatality at Petra mine.
– Mine reopens.
Jenni Middleton named editor of Retail Jeweller.
IB Goodman gets new sales vp.
Jeanette Bronstein, former DDC employee and mother of colored diamond expert Alan, dies.
Richemont eyes stake in Prada.
Sex in the City jewelry.
Russell Brand engaged, gives Cartier ring.
Missing wedding ring returned.
Comedian proposed during fake audition for Kay Jewelers. Very cute.
– New York Times on Wittelsbach Diamond.
– Crains on the “costume jewelry revival.”
– WWD on gold mining issues. ($)
– Houston Chronicle talks to David Yurman.
– NYT’s Metropolitan Diary: Tourists look for diamond district.
From the Blog:
Have a great 24-Karat Weekend … hope to see some of you …
– Cutting Remarks RSS Feed.
– Twitter feed (w/blog and news updates): robbatesjck
– Connect on linkedin.
– Email for tips, comments, press releases: rbates – at – reedbusiness.com