Posted on July 13, 2012
In the news… The diamond market looks pretty shaky.… Rapaport raises a fancy furor.… And Indian dealers aren't going anywhere.… All below…
Undisclosed synthetic diamonds turn up in Hong Kong.
Target, Neiman Marcus team up for holiday campaign.
- Risk of brand dilution?
- My thoughts: “Makes no sense—and all the sense in the world.”
Michael Hill’s same store U.S. sales up 16.9%.
Birks & Mayors sales down in first quarter. But comps rise.
Diamiani appoints new CEO.
Ed Levin Jewelry announces change in ownership.
Diamond dealers don’t see big price decreases.
- Edahn Golan: The "list" is "out of whack."
- Rapaport receives complaints, is reviewing them.
Dog Days for Diamonds?
- Botswana’s diamond exports drop 36%.
- Belgium polished exports fall.
- Antwerp logs fourth month of rough declines.
- India pins hopes to Diwali.
- 30,000 Indian diamond workers jobless.
Avi Krawitz: What is the “world’s diamond hub?”
Indian dealers not moving to Bharat bourse.
De Beers class action checks going out “soon.”
Chaim Even-Zohar on Botswana mine tragedy.
Analysts: Botswana won’t increase De Beers stake.
- Country in “no hurry” to sell independently.
- Chaim Even-Zohar: Botswana looking to “verify” De Beers prices. ($)
Cartier CEO sees slowdown in Chinese demand.
- Weaker than expected sales at Chow Tai Fook.
My thoughts on the growing power of Yelp.
Whiteflash opens new store in Texas.
- Michelle Graff: More jewelry retailers open physical stores?
- Amazon: Focusing on same-day delivery?
- J.C. Penney lays off 350 more.
- S&P downgrades bonds.
- Second quarter results may be worse than first.
- Vendors canceling orders?
- Heavy hitters warned against new strategy.
- Leases building in New York City.
Vermont jeweler Leslie Von Bargen dies.
Former National Jeweler publisher Milton Gralla dies.
- Nice tribute from Whitney Sielaff.
New exec in charge at Rio Tinto Diamonds.
Robert Headley promoted to Jewelers of America vice president.
Tiffany: Victim of increased commodity costs?
Guyana suspends gold and diamond mining.
Alrosa conducts auction in NYC.
Feds shut down 70 websites selling counterfeits.
New York jewelers pay fine over illegal ivory sale.
47thStreet dealer sues police over non-returned diamond.
Zales “does not sell cubic zirconia.”
Sofia Vergara gets sizable engagement ring.
New “100 percent diamond” bra.
Woman swallowed, then pawned diamond.
- And for those who can’t get enough of that kind of story: Five incidents where diamonds were swallowed.
- On CNBC, analyst touts diamonds as an investment.
- Smart Money on buying a “bargain engagement ring.”
- The Southern Illinoisian columnist keeps losing her ring.
- The New York Times reviews the jewelers on the Place Vendôme.
- Vice talks to someone who said his dad sold “blood diamonds.”
From the Blog:
- Don’t miss a story or blog! Subscribe to JCK's daily e-newsletter. Enter your email in the box at the upper right hand side of this page.
- Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
- Twitter feed: robbatesjck
- Cutting Remarks RSS feed.